Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cane Rod











I bought this 4 piece cane rod off a guide. It was made by a Japanese guy from Osaka. This morning I set out to catch a fish on it. I haven't really fished a cane rod before, so it took a while to get into the rhythm. My leader was about 15ft and when the first fish took I missed him completely. The fish grabbed the nymph right infront of my eyes as he swung up and out of the deep run. I had so much line on the water all I could do was to watch as he shook his head, spitting the fly out.




The lesson was learnt. Cane rods move slower and leaders need to be a lot shorter in a small sprightly stream. Eventually getting the feel of the rod, I spotted a nice fish, which willingly took me twice. I missed the first take and after a change of fly and a minutes rest he jumped on a small mayfly nymph. It was exciting to feel the rod working and taking up the strain for the first time. It reminded me of the glass rod I had started out on all those years ago. Definitely a lot more feeling through the rod.



I missed one other fish today, just swirly water and as the rod moves a little slower I guess I need to pay a bit more attention when setting the hook. Maybe set a little faster.



I thoroughly enjoyed using my new cane rod.

No comments: