Saturday, April 4, 2009

Blue Water - Cool Breeze.



Today I spent the day exploring a new section of river that I have never fished before. The hour drive through fog was slow, but the sun cleared the fog by about 10:30am. After parking the car we organised our equipment, it was then I realised I had left my reel at home. It's the first time in years that I have forgotten to take my reel. So we had to fish with one rod.

The day never warmed up, the cool wind was off set by the strong sun and the trout ( 8 of them ) fed well on small nymphs. The day was about exploring a new river and getting out with my fishing buddy before cold autumn temperatures finally hit. As with any new stream it takes a while to spot the first fish, the colour of the fish vary from river to river. We spotted the first fish feeding well on the edge of the pool.

I hooked 3 fish, landing only one, which was a bit disappointing. My fishing buddy let me fish to all the fish that were spotted. He had been fishing all week and had caught quite a few fish, so wanted me to catch a few. One fish I was fishing to was feeding quite well, but as I started fishing the sound of a small plane could be heard upstream. It was flying down the river at about 400m. As the shadow of the planes wings passed over the fish, it suddenly swam off into deeper water, spooked by the plane. The 3 fish were all hooked on #16 mayfly nymphs.

It was my first time to try out my new fishing backpack. The backpack is made by William Joseph. It's a great pack, light, comfortable, and practical. You can see my backpack in the photos. It's a great addition to anyones fishing kit and will become one of my favourite fishing items.

No comments: